le poisson rouge
so the other day I was down in ye olde greenwich village and i saw this new place opening up in that space on bleecker that is always either a theater or a nightclub and is always changing hands. so i signed up for their email list. this could either be way cool or way lame. depends on how velvet-rope and douchebag they get, i suppose.
Info below and event listing here.
(le) poisson rouge | Serving Art & Alcohol.
(le) poisson rouge is an 800-capacity multimedia art cabaret founded by musicians on the site of the historic Village Gate. We are on schedule to open to the public in September 2008 following major remodeling and acoustic engineering by the legendary John Storyk/WSDG. LPR is currently booking ticketed concerts and private events from mid-June to the end of August. LPR will officially open to the public in September with a full calendar of concerts, dance and theater performances, film screenings, special events and late-night programming in the flexible main space. The adjoining lounge will be open during the day as a café, and at night as a secondary bar and event space.
- 158 Bleecker btwn Thompson & Sullivan in Greenwich Village
- 800-capacity flexible performance space (250 seated)
- 130-capacity attached, soundproof lounge bar
- 2 stages: permanent corner & movable In-The-Round
- acoustic engineering by John Storyk/WSDG (Electric Lady Studios, Jazz @ Lincoln Center, etc)
- 2 cinema-sized screens with Meyer 5.1 Surround Sound
- 18′ dia. hardwood sprung dance floor
- 2 elevated VIP Opera Boxes and 2 private entrances
- full catering kitchen, concert bar menu, and daytime lounge menu
- large restrooms in 2 areas at opposite ends of the venue
- furnished green room with en suite bathroom, shower & tour office