Five Questions for: David Levine
Title/Occupation: Artist, Director
1. Where did you grow up and how did you end up where you are now?
Grew up in New York City. Directed new plays from 2000-2004, then headed for Berlin. Came back doing a totally different kind of work.
2. Which performance, song, play, movie, painting or other work of art had the biggest influence on you and why?
Adrian Piper, “The Mythic Being” opened up an entire vista for me on the idea of acting when no-one’s looking, no-one’s noticing.
3. What skill, talent or attribute do you most wish you had and why?
The confidence to be an even bigger dick.
4. What do you do to make a living? Describe a normal day.
I teach in Berlin, and do projects in NY and Berlin. So I spend a third of my day on Email, and a third of my day actually producing work, and a third of my day worrying about money.
5. Have you ever had to make a choice between work and art? What did you choose, why, and what was the outcome?
It never seemed like a choice; art without even thinking about it. The only possible exception was heading to Berlin to teach, which I *feared* was choosing work over art, but it actually resulted in the kind of work I make today.