Five Questions for Megan V Sprenger
Title/Occupation: Director of Marketing / Artistic Director
Organization/Company: Dance Theater Workshop / mvworks
URL: dancetheaterworkshop.org / mvworks.org
1. Where did you grow up and how did you end up where you are now?
I moved to NYC after college to pursue a dancing and/or dance community involved lifestyle. I started working at Dance Theater Workshop 14 days after graduation, and have not left.
2. Which performance, song, play, movie, painting or other work of art had the biggest influence on you and why?
Gregory Crewdson’s photographs in Twilight. They inspired me to make my first evening length work which was commissioned by PS122. This presentation launched my personal dance company mvworks. Currently mvworks is rehearsing our second evening length work …within us. which will premiere at PS122 May 17 – 24, 2009.
3. What skill, talent or attribute do you most wish you had and why?
Talent: To function on less sleep without more caffeine so I can get more done and have more money in my wallet.
Skill: Know how to spell and understand good grammar. I write about dance for a living and I can’t spell and I always have to triple check grammar.
4. What do you do to make a living? Describe a normal day.
Work at Dance Theater Workshop.
Get up around 7:30am (I love the snooze button, so this varies drastically), drink a big cup of coffee, eat two to three meals at my desk while thinking about how to more effectively market contemporary dance and its artists for 8 – 9 hours, rehearse for 2 – 5 hours (2 choreographing for mvworks, 3 dancing for Catherine Tharin), go to bed around 12:30 after watching that evening’s trash TV of choice.).
5. Have you ever had to make a choice between work and art? What did you choose, why, and what was the outcome?
Everyday. I make a different choice every time.