I ROBOT. YOU ROBOT. LET’S ALL ROBOT.
Sci Fi Screening Room:
@ UNDER St. Mark’s
94 St. Mark’s Place, btw 1st Ave and Avenue A
L train to 1st Ave, F/V to 2nd Ave, N/R/W train to 8th St, 6 train to Astor Pl.
Wednesday May 20th @ 7:00 PM
Just $7 at the door
The Sci Fi Screening Room is a monthly showcase of offbeat videos, featuring cult classics, TV rarities and stuff you won’t find on Netflix or YouTube. Previous events, including Batman Night! and Bigfoot Night! have been named as a Voice Choice, Time Out NY Best Bet, Gothamist pick and highlighted in the New York Times’ Urban Eye.
And now, just in time for Terminator-mania comes ROBOT Night! The jam-packed cavalcade–of-clips includes all kinds of amazing machines:
• Tom Selleck flees an army of android insects controlled by evil Gene Simmons in Michael Crichton’s Runaway (1984)
• Cyborg security guards kill teen delinquents in Chopping Mall (1986)
• Robot gunslinger Yul Brynner seduces Blythe Danner in the Westworld sequel Futureworld (1976)
• The Harlem Globetrotters play against a team of athletic androids (controlled by evil Martin Landau) in a Gilligan’s Island movie.
• Plus Urklebot, Small Wonder and The Bionic Woman vs. Bigfoot.
• And a selection of scenes where robots battle apes!
The 90-minute video-variety show is hosted by Kevin Maher and Victor Varnado (director of the upcoming Roboto Supremo). Plus special guests, a reading from R.U.R. (the 1921 Czech play that introduced the word “robot”.) All this and cheap beer, free snacks, trivia prizes and a game of rock ‘em sock ‘em robots!