Now Repeat in Steinese (in Portland)

I have to be honest, I’m not sure I entirely understand what this is, but my old pal performance artist Drew Pisarra is putting it together and it looks pretty interesting. It is called Alembic #13: Now Repeat in Steinese and it is a performance event based on Gertrude Stein.

The description says that Now Repeat in Steinese is four back-to-back stagings of her early enigmatic one-act “White Wines” paired with four different white wines. Now Repeat in Steinese uses one of Stein’s most unstageable works — no plot, no characters, no setting — to reveal the myriad ways such material can in fact be interpreted. Under performance artist Drew Pisarra’s guidance four West Coast theater artists/choreographers/filmmakers interpret the play anew, thereby revealing a completely new set of artistic sensibilities. Pisarra, a fixture in Portland’s dance-theater landscape in the ’90s, returns from NYC to host this one-of-a-kind evening with his longtime collaborator Katherine Gray.

Alembic is an ongoing series of performances curated by guest artists from the worlds of dance, theater, visual and media arts invited to program and produce an event at Performance Works NorthWest. PWNW provides Alembic curators and artists with production assistance and a modest honorarium.

WHO:
Drew Pisarra, curator
Katherine Petersen, co-host
The SteinWays, musical collective
Kyle Delamarter and Starr Ahrens, theater artists
TouchMonkey: Carolyn Stuart and Patrick Gracewood, dancers
Austin Newsom, filmmaker

WHEN: April 29 and 30. Friday and Saturday. 8pm.

HOW: Tickets $12-$15 (discounts for Boris & Natasha Fan Club)
at the door or at hulahub.com
WHERE: Performance Works NorthWest (www.performanceworksnw.org)
4625 SE 67th Ave., Portland, OR 97206
503.777.1907

8 thoughts on “Now Repeat in Steinese (in Portland)”

1. Mickey says:

What if the performance if the performance is the same and now the same?

2. Lynny says:

This could be the best almost, this could be the most almost. This is the most I bet. The best I bet.

3. Christine says:

I was involved with the version in New York and it was great fun! By the fourth glass of wine you didn't care if it made sense OR it suddenly did make sense!

4. angie says:

could be interesting as I have seen something by a couple of the performers in the past
    then there is now, now an interesting idea then something then now. will designated drivers attend?

5. andrew frank says:

This is a fabulous evening and a singular chance to experience Stein in a unique and totally appropriate way.

Go go go.
    went went went
    burrowed black in the green night of sticky stars that shepherded my dreams of the bearded lady that told me this will be a night like no other.

6. Iven says:

A wet hurt and a yellow stain a high wind and a color stone a place in and the whole real set…
    will conglomerate into a fabulous night of wine and Stein mayhem!

1. Mickey says:

There is no cake in front.

7. Heidi says:

This is an amazing curatorial idea. I participated in NY and the diversity of interpretation of the same text was fascinating. Seasoned experimental audience goers had no trouble, especially with the lovely wine element, but what I found most thrilling was that naive audience members sat confused and befuddled with hands crossed in the beginning and eventually throughout the process of the showcase were able to "let meaning and understanding go" and thoroughly enjoy the evening. I imagine this is what Stein would have wanted. I am sure something outstanding will happen in Portland too. Wish I could be there!

8. Pingback: Juliette Mapp’s “The Making of Americans”  | Culturebot